A Bouquet

One Dozen Posies Acrylic on styrofoam and board 9" x 8"
One Dozen Posies
Acrylic on styrofoam and board
9″ x 8″

After two weeks fretting over the puzzle of a tree of life of my own device, I just had to take a break. The “flowers” here are the bottoms of an egg carton I used to mix colors for the big composite painting. It’s just elementary, I know, but I needed to give myself permission to be frivolous.

A Departure into Theory

Yesterday I spent the day with the very-generous Sharon Gates and three other plein air painters in a one-day workshop. Sharon took us through various refresher concepts and exercises, and encouraged us at every turn. While we did mix colors and outline mass shapes from photographs, we also began to paint value-scale monochrome landscapes.

Landscape Study Oil on Board, 8" x 10" 17/30in30
Landscape Study
Oil on Board, 8″ x 10″
17/30in30

Here is mine at the point I left Sharon’s studio. I couldn’t stand leaving unused colors on my palette so I “threw” them out there for better or for worse. I’ll go back into it tomorrow.

Free Spirits in Process

Free Spirits (in process) acrylic on tar paper, c. 44" x 34", 16/30in30
Free Spirits (in process)
acrylic on tar paper, c. 44″ x 34″, 16/30in30

Here it is, still in process. There are several things I plan to change, so I may post the complete version before the month is over. But here you get the main idea.

I am reminded of a Mexican tree of life, and it surprises me because I never set out to make this painting. It basically grew into itself! It is all too new for me to feel settled altogether, especially knowing there are changes to be made.

A Swim

Free Spirits acrylic on tar paper, c. 9" x 11", 15/30in30, Q10
Free Spirits
acrylic on tar paper, c. 9″ x 11″, 15/30in30, Q10

Here is the final piece of the puzzle. Of course by now I have assembled it all together and am trying to make sense of it all. The process has been really fun, and the result is something I could not have imagined from the beginning.

The back looks like this. Here I'm just tacking it with low-stick painter's tape. Later I'll have to figure out how to frame, mount, or finish it more thoroughly.
The back looks like this. Here I’m just tacking it with low-stick painter’s tape. Later I’ll have to figure out how to frame, mount, or finish it more thoroughly.

For the rest of the day I will be finishing the overall piece by painting in some things and painting out others. However the “30 paintings in 30 days” challenge marches on, so I will have to begin another series. It it weren’t so fun, I’d say it is exhausting!